Posted in Uncategorized

*DIY* Table Redo

*Well, after that depressing post yesterday, let’s have a fun post today!*

Hubby and I have a “house-to-do” list that’s about a million things long. A couple weeks ago, we decided to tackle one of those things and re-do our dining room table.

Hubby built this table for me a couple years ago as a puzzle table so we didn’t exactly sand it down and take a lot of time on it. Well, when we moved to this house it worked better as a dining room table (it’s super long) and so we’ve been using it as a dining table.

Now the top was kind of rough/sticky because we didn’t use polyurethane the first time and the legs/bottom were white because we painted them and stained the table top so it was kind of a mismatched mess. The legs were also very rough because we hadn’t sanded them.

Unfortunately, I am terrible at remembering to take pictures, (I’m trying to get better I promise!) so I have no before pic of the table, just a before pic AFTER we flipped the table over:

As you can see, the legs and sides of the table are white (and the top was stained dark, I promise!)

img_2864

Here’s the whole table upside down, after we took the legs off, it is about an 8ft long table:

img_2859

Legs off the table:

img_2862

Sanding, sanding and more sanding! I actually sent hubs to Home Depot to get another sander so he could do the table top while I did the legs.

img_2867

We used 60 grit sandpaper on the tabletop and 220 grit on the legs. We wanted to strip the tabletop so we used the harsher grit for that. On the legs, because we were staining them dark, we didn’t need to remove the white completely, we just wanted them to be smooth.

This pic is after I was finished sanding the legs, as you can see there is some white paint left:

img_2869

And, of course, I forgot to take a pic of the tabletop when he was done sanding, so here’s a pic after we finished staining it:

img_2866

Here is an after pic of the legs/side of the table:

img_2914

I don’t know if you can tell, but hubs even rounded the corners of the table! Talk about fancy!!

img_2915

Ta-Da! Finished product:

img_2916

It looks and feels so much better now!! I love that it is all one color and I don’t have to hide it under a tablecloth anymore!!

Total time: about 2-3 days. It took us 1 day to sand and then another 1-2 days to stain/polyurethane including drying time.

xoxo

nikki

Advertisements

Author:

Just a wife, foster/adoptive mama, fur mama and small business owner sharing her life!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s